Monthly Topics - MARCH 2018
International Women’s Day
International Women’s Day, an international holiday, has been set aside to recognize the achievements and successes of women the world over. March 8th marks one of the first organized actions by working women anywhere in the world. On this day in 1857, hundreds of women garment and textile workers went on strike in New York City protesting against low wages, long working hours, and inhumane working conditions. The event ended in violent struggles with police.
“Our lives shall not be sweated from birth until life closes,
For our hearts starve as well as bodies
Give us bread, but give us roses.”
(The anthem of striking mill workers in Lawrence, Massachusetts, 1912.)
Saint Patrick’s Day
Saint Patrick's day is held in honor of Saint Patrick, the Patron Saint of Ireland who brought Christianity to the Emerald Isles, as Ireland is known. It is truly a day of celebrating Irish history, ancestry, traditions and customs. Are you Irish perchance? Well, the saying goes everyone is a little Irish on Saint Patrick’s Day. Here are a few more classic Irish sayings & blessings":
- Top of the mornin' to you…(and the rest of the day to 'me self!)
- “Erin Go Braugh” is perhaps the most common Irish term you will hear. It means "Ireland Forever"
- May the road rise to meet you, May the wind be always at your back, May the sun shine upon your face, The rains fall soft upon your fields, And, until we meet again, May god hold you in the palm of his hand.
- May god grant you many years to live, For sure he must be knowing, the earth has angels all too few, and heaven is overflowing.
- May you be in heaven half an hour before the devil knows you're dead!
- May your blessings outnumber the shamrocks that grow and may trouble avoid you wherever you go.
Celebrate Peanuts Nutrition
"March is National Peanut Month, a time set aside each year by the peanut industry to celebrate the positives of peanuts and peanut products," says industry spokeswoman Betsy Owens. "It's also National Nutrition Month, making it an appropriate time to focus on the nutritional aspects of peanuts". A growing body of research by university scientists around the country suggests that including peanuts and other nuts and legumes as a part of a healthy diet may be useful in improving cardiovascular health and may offer some protection against cancer as well. Some possible reasons offered by the researchers include peanuts' high ratio of unsaturated fat to saturated fat, their fiber content and their antioxidant content. "This good nutrition news about peanuts is reason enough to celebrate March Peanut Month by eating peanuts to your heart's content", Owens suggests.
We are looking forward to March & the official first day of spring, March 20th. January was unseasonably cool for this part of Florida. Sweaters, jackets and etc. were in use for many days. Furnaces were on that haven’t been in use for some years. But, as always, warm weather is with us now and soon we will complain about how hot it is.